The Ministry of Justice has appointed a special committee comprising of the following members to inquire in to the Pre-Trial Procedure and Small Claims Courts:
1. Hon. Justice Dr. Ruwan Fernando - Judge of the Court of Appeal. (Chairman)
2. A District Court Judge, nominated by the Judicial Service Commission.
3. Mr. Mayadunne Corea - Senior Deputy Solicitor General, Attorney General's Department.
4. Mr. Kaushalya Nawarathna - Attorney-at-Law.
5. Mr. Chandima Muthukumarana- Attorney-at-Law.
6. Mr. Rasika Dissanayake- Attorney-at-Law.
7. Mr. Lasitha Kanuwanaarachchi- Attorney-at-Law.
8. Mr. Ruwantha Cooray- Attorney-at-Law.
9. Mr. Nishan Premathiratne- Attorney-at-Law (Convenor)
10. Mrs. Ruwanadini Kuruppu- Assistant Secretary (Legal), Ministry of Justice.
The role of the Committee includes:-
“(a) to review the existing pre-trial procedure under the Civil Procedure Code in order to identify the drawbacks and reasons for such drawbacks if the implementation of current provisions have failed to fulfill its objectives, and
(b) to explore the possibility of establishing Small Claim Courts to adjudicate small claims such as credit card claims below a threshold of Rs.1,000,000/-, and enabled the Minister in charge of the subject of Justice to change the limit of such monetary value by way of regulation from time to time.”